from the Idiot to the Sweetheart, most things America, with the exception of some drunken Brit sods, a British punk chanteuse , aging Irish heroes, Swedes and a Canadian tribute. Speaking for the land of the free, we have a country legend and a country legend son, gays, ex-con, trailer park punkers, a punk poet, a tiny prophet and some posthumous pop. Tis of thee!
- AMERICAN IDIOT – Green Day “Here they come marching down the street like the desperation murmur of a heartbeat.” An American classic.
- THE HEAT – Jesse Malin “Over mountains, over money, over time. All the glitter in the gutter you can find..” So New York. I love this guy.
- POR VIDA: A TRIBUTE TO THE SONGS OF ALEJANDRO ESCOVEDO – Various Artist You can tell the caliber of these songs by the artists who participated. A great introduction to some beautiful songs and songwriting.
- SPREAD YOUR WINGS AND FLY – Laura Nyro Not the show Jah and I saw (and loved) but the same spirit and grandeur. Salvaged from tapes, this is quintessential Laura Nyro. Live, alone and as soulful as it gets. God bless her.
- VAN LEAR ROSE – Loretta Lynn If someone told me 20 years ago that this was going to happen in 2004 I would have said “Cool.” Cool. Whodathunk, eh?
- THE REVOLUTION STARTS NOW… – Steve Earl Thanks, man, I needed that. Keep the fire burning.
- IMPOSSIBLE DREAM – Patty Griffin “Let’s write a story of a tidal wave. We run out of gas. We run out of days. We run out
of gas 100 miles away from a station. There’s a war and a plague. Smoke and disaster. Lions in the Coliseum. Screams of laughter. Motherless children. A witness and a bible. No chance of survival. Just before the flood comes. Just before the night falls. Just before the blood runs through the valley. Love throws a line to you and me.”
- UN HUH HER – PJ Harvey Uh Huh!
- BOBBY BARE JR.’ YOUNG CRIMINAL STARVATION LEAGUE – From the End Of Your Leash This adorable beast who wants to borrow your girl and rock and roll but really doesn’t want to be that motherf…
- HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB – U2 “love and sex and faith and fear”
- THE GREY ALBUM – Danger Mouse The helter skelter of mash-ups.
- TYRANNOSAURUS HIVES – The Hives 30 minutes of pure itch. Start scratching!
- WANT TWO – Rufus Wainwright – Oh, Jerusalem!
- THE LIBERTINES
- FROM A BASEMENT ON THE HILL – Elliott Smith ….to a plot in the yard. “Love is sad, shooting star.”
- HYMNS OF THE 49TH PARALLEL – kd land This canookie cookie does it better for me than Snora Jones. Sweet interpretations of some great songs. I like torch.
- THE DELIVERY MAN – Elvis Costello Concise and contrite, that’s the way I like my Elvis.
- ESCONDIDA – Jolie Holland “A couple of food stamps and a caffeine buzz”. More porch than torch for this beat Gillian Welch.
- GOLD METAL – The Donnas “Half cocked and fully loaded. Not even trying to sugar coat it.” Don’t bother knockin’ when this trailer’s rockin’. And rockin’ it does. The girls become legal and legit.
- AMERICA’S SWEETHEART – Courtney Love ‘Expected this to be a posthumous recognition but don’t write this loon off yet,
physically or musically yet.
Buy from amazon
TO THE FIVE BURROUGHS – Beastie Boys
YOU ARE THE QUARRY – Morrissey
FOLKER – Paul Westerberg
SONIC NURSE – Sonic Youth
THE SLOW WONDER – AC Newman
MUSICOLOGY – Prince
CUATRO CAMINOS – Café Tacoma
A GHOST IS BORN – Wilco
EDUCATED GUESS – Ani DiFranco
FAULKNER, DYLAN, HEINZ AND ME – Amy Rigby
ADAM’S APPLE – John Wesley Harding
Singles Going Steady:
“American Idiot” Green Day“
Vertigo” U2 “
My Life is an Endless Succession of People Saying Goodbye” Morrissey “
Come To Jesus” Mindy Smith